My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Currently alternating between ice and heat....


















Back in January my friend, Kellie, convinced me to sign up for the Nike Women's Half Marathon.  I thought she was crazy....but here we are today....ice bag on my knee, but quite proud of myself.

Nick and I headed into the city to get registered and then spend the night (to avoid waking up too early on Sunday).

I did the obligatory carbo load at the Cheesecake Factory and Nick sympathy carbo loaded.  We also topped off dinner with some delicious red velvet cheesecake.  I recommend it to everyone.  It is absolutely incredible.  Layers of red velvet cake between cheesecake with cream cheese frosting.  So good.  

Ended up not sleeping very well, but Sunday morning came regardless.  Walked to Union Square around 6:40AM, ready to OWN the next 13.1 miles.

























Here's the race course.  Very scenic, quite nice actually.  Except for all the hills.  See the elevation map below.
































Yeah, see miles 6-7 and 8-9.  Haha, that was rough.  What's interesting, is I actually made really good time on the hills and slowed on the flat sections.  Go figure.  I started to want more hills....crazy I know.  The downhills are incredible.  It's like a freebie.  You go fast and you breathe totally normal.  I feel like I'm cheating.  And I pass so many people.  Feels so good.

Saw Nick, Kellie and Chris around mile 11.  They only had a few seconds to snap pictures (because I was running lightning fast), so they also got one of my back side.  But take a look at that calf muscle.  Don't mess with my left calf.


















I actually had a decent amount of energy left by the time 12.5 miles hit, so I took some big strides coming into the finish.  I passed a lot of people and it felt really good....competitive spirit in me just wouldn't quit.  Felt very good to go through the finish line!

Upon finishing the race, we were greeted by firemen in tuxedoes holding silver platters with tiffany boxes! 



















Found Nick, Kellie and Chris after finishing.  What great friends!
























Next year we will both do it!  (Kelly and I....Chris wont be there because the Indians will be in the playoffs.....but if they are in the playoffs against Oakland, it could work).  Stay tuned.

























It was actually a lot more fun than I thought.  I'm gonna give the ol' legs a few days to rest and then see what happens....but I think another race is somewhere in my future!  


***  And because so many people have asked, yes, I ran the entire way.  I slowed to a walk for about 5 seconds while sipping some gatorade - but I don't think that counts  ***  Honestly, it probably would have been harder to start running again, had I stopped.


3 comments:

Judy said...

wow kudos!! =)

steveandjody said...

You're amazing! Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

Damn Bryn! I was being bugged to join a triathlon (eek!) training group next spring. You've just inspired me to totally do it.