My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Amsterdam














Amsterdam 2008
Nick and I decided to go on a little impromptu trip.  

We left Livermore around noon, with just our backpacks.  We took KLM from SFO and I highly recommend the airline.
1.  Meals were pretty darn good.  They came with a warmed roll AND we got chocolate ice cream about midway through the trip.  And it wasn't light, non-fat or slow churned - it was fatty-sugary deliciousness.
2.  Movies!  Get Smart and Baby Mama.
3.  Did I mention there was no one on the flight and I got to lay flat on my back to sleep?
  Awesome!

We arrived in Amsterdam at 10AM (1AM PST).  The customs agent asked if I was on holiday and I giggled....yeah, so mature.















The train from the airport to Amsterdam was very quiet - BART could probably learn a thing or 2.

The hotel was adorable - and by hotel, I mean a 2 bedroom house.  But it was awesome and we highly recommend it for anyone on "holiay" to Amsterdam.

Despite the complete lack of sleep we were determined to stay up and get on the European clock!  We headed to the Anne Frank Museum and took a small detour at Cafe t'smalle.  Our first (of many on this trip) Rick Steves recommendations and it didn't let down.  Small sandwiches and a coke for Nick and a white coffee for me.  Don't let the name fool you, white coffee is actually light brown and EXACTLY like a latte.



















The Anne Frank museum is actually in the house/attic the Franks lived in for a good part of WWII.  Quite moving and very well done.  Unfortunately no pictures were allowed.

We eventually wandered into the red light district.  Quite fascinating.  Imagine store fronts with mannequins, but replace the mannequins with women in lingerie.  
2.  

The next day we visited the Van Gogh museum....again, no pictures allowed.  Does the Van Gogh museum know that they allow photos in the Louvre?  I'm just saying.

We also took some time to take the obligatory shadow picture.  

No comments: