My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 2, 2009

Poor Design

As a design engineer (who is often guilty of poor designs, hopefully the good ones outweigh the bad), I often look at other designs and evaluate them.  Usually I think, "Man, I wish I had thought of that."  But recently, I looked at 2 different things and thought, "Man, that really could have been done better."  

1.  Restroom doors that always look occupied

So this happens to me at the movie theater all the time.  All the restroom doors are shut because they all swing closed and they APPEAR occupied.  Unfortunately, patrons don't look under the doors - for fear of looking foolish - and everyone is forced to stand in line waiting for the 2 occupied stalls.  I get it.  If the lock breaks, the door can still stay shut.  But I don't know if it's worth it.  At the very least, put one of those red/green things on the lock so people can tell.  

2.  Apple Laptop wall adapter

OMG this is absolutely awful design.  It hangs off the wall like a diving board.  Cantilever anyone?  

















Mochi ran into mine awhile back and bent one of the prongs.  Clearly these were not dog tested. If it were me, I would have put the prongs on the large, square surface.  I'm sure Apple has a logical reason for the design....and someday I would like one of their engineers to explain it to me.  Apparently the previous generation would spark and cause fires, so I guess I should be thankful for the one I have.  

No comments: