My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Live from the 'Querque

I arrived in Albuquerque NM at about 2:30PM today.

What is there to do in the 'Querque you ask?

Not much.

I spent about an hour in "Old Town." It's cute but you either hace to parallel park or pay to park. I chose to parallel it. Oh, did I mention I'm driving this gem. It's like the poor man's PT cruiser. It's decent but I wouldn't buy one. Kind of a safety hazard if I do say so myself.

I was the invisible girl today at the airport. I was waiting for the guy in front of me load his stuff onto the x-ray machine. Next thing I know, the woman behind me has started pushing the man's things out of the way and begins loading her stuff onto the belt. No matter. So I make my way to the gate, "A" pass in hand, and plop myself down in the "A" line. I'm 3rd in line and pretty pleased. Next thing I know, a man walks right up and plops his stuff down in front of me and calls his wife to tell her about his great spot in line. Normally this would piss me off but I kinda just laughed about it. I must be in a decent mood.

So what is Albuquerque famous for you ask?
-Green chillis...I don't care for them AT ALL, but some people think they are AMAZING!
-The Sandia Mountains, that's right, the watermelon mountains to those Spanish speakers out there.
-Motorcycles (I made this one up....but I did see about a bagillion on the road today)
-They also have a triple A baseball team named "The Isotpes." I find that quite amusing, anyone else?

I'll update this list if I figure out what else they are famous for.

4 comments:

stephenyao said...

hey Bryn,

Working for SNL 'ey? Oh how the might hath fallen ;P Just kidding. I grew up in Albuquerque and worked at Sandia all thru undergrad and a year as FTE until I split for grad school. I thought Sandia was great, but I was looking to try something different after half a decade.

Anyway, we usually call it "Burque", with the tricky rolling spanish 'rr' thrown in for color. "Querque" really sounds too much like turkey :)

Don't be hatin' on the green chile, its a religion! We even got all the McD's to put it double cheeseburgers.

Famous? if I had to list anything besides green chile it would have to be the International Balloon Fiesta, (http://www.balloonfiesta.com/) and clear blue skies with spectacular sunsets 99% of the year.

stephenyao said...

Oh yea...and there is sh1t all to do.

And yes they literally named the baseball team from the Simpsons episode...that was our actualy mayor on the episode...tack that one the Burque Wall of Sham- err...Fame

Unknown said...

Why are you in Albuquerque? Why am I not being productive. Back to the grind!

Nick said...

Is the team seriously called the Isotopes? It's totally from the Simpsons! The local Springfield team is the Isotopes and in one episode they threaten to pack up and move the team to Albuquerque...incredible.