My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Cooking a Steak

I can cook a steak almost as good as a restaurant. So good, that I usually don't order it at a restaurant. Learned it from my dad, and it pretty much can't be beat.

He prefers a fatty steak, I like it a little more lean....makes me feel a bit better about eating red meat.

1. Get some filet mignon - sirloin or rib eye also works - but if you want to pretend like you are high class, get the filet from costco.

2. Preheat the oven to 375.

3. Leave the filets out to come to room temperature. Rub each side with emeril's seasoning, sea salt and pepper. Be liberal. Add a little olive oil on one side - this is the side you will cook first.

4. Get a pan that can go in the oven - cast iron works great. I use my le creuset.

5. Put a little olive oil in the pan and turn the heat on HIGH. Get the oil almost smokin'.

6. Put the meat in the pan and sear it. Put it in and DO NOT TOUCH it for at least 1.5 minutes. Use tongs to see if it is ready to flip. If it comes up easily, flip it. If not, wait another 30 seconds. Flip and sear the 2nd side.

7. Put the entire pan directly into the oven and cook. 4-5ish minutes for rare a minute or 2 more for medium rare.

8. Remove the meat from the pan and cover with aluminum foil.

9. Put the pan back on the stove with a little butter, red wine and garlic. Scrape the crusty stuff off the bottom of the pan and add any juice that came off of the meat. Heat and reduce.

10. Serve with the sauce. So good.

4 comments:

Judy said...

cool! i'm going to give this a try! i've always been intimidated by cooking steaks, but you make it sound easy!

PNB Dave said...

Sounds delicious. I usually pan-fry my steaks on the stovetop in a super-hot cast iron pan, but I like the sound of yours. I'm definitely going to try this.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you have your meat cuts down now too!

steveandjody said...

We made this for dinner tonight. You were right, so good!