My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 17, 2010

The Nutcracker

My grandma started taking me to the Nutcracker when I was VERY little. I loved it!

As I grew older, I appreciated it more, and now I really enjoy seeing a show. A show put on by Pacific Northwest Ballet, that is.

See, here's the problem. PNB puts on a really good show. The dancers are awesome - but that goes without saying. What I've always enjoyed has been the gorgeous sets. Growing up seeing this version of the nutcracker, I've never known anything different. I assumed all sets were designed by Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are).

Doesn't the "Tiger" look familiar? Very reminiscent of the book.

















I saw my first non-PNB Nutcracker a few years ago when I saw San Francisco Ballet's performance. The dancers were beautiful and the music always puts you in the mood for the holidays....but it wasn't the same.

I haven't seen the Nutcracker since.

But tonight, I'm headed to a local performance. I take adult ballet at a studio here in Livermore. The studio puts on the performance at a local theater. The theater is quite nice and I hear it's a good performance. I'm mildly put off by the cost of the ticket. I won't say how much it is....but I could actually get a slightly cheaper ticket in the upper level section at Mccaw Hall.

I'm going in with an open mind and will obviously enjoy myself. But when it comes to the Nutcracker....nothing beats PNB.


2 comments:

Nikki said...

Have fun! I'm not even going to tell you how expensive the BDA show tickets have gotten. Ridiculous!

PNB Dave said...

I totally agree with you, Bryn. Here's what I do: when I'm going to see a different "Nutcracker," I just try to think of it as seeing an entirely different Christmas ballet and try not to compare it to PNB's version.