My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Seriously, Macys?

Do you know what a Frango is?

It's a very delightful little treat, originally sold by the Frederick and Nelson Department store - where I got all my Santa pictures taken until they closed. It's a northwest thing.

They use to come in all different flavors - mint being the typical favorite.

So why am I talking about frangos? Well, I had a little run in with a Macys sales lady and I thought I'd share it.

My grandma has a major sweet tooth and she LOVES raspberry frangos. It's kind of cute because everyone in the family knows she loves them but when she opens a package on Christmas she always says, "Oh, my. How did you know this was my favorite?" Or something like that.

Naturally, Nick gets these for her every year.

I was at a Macys a few weeks ago and asked about Raspberry Frangos. The salesperson said they didn't have any! Uh oh.

Yesterday I checked online and not only do they still have some, but they were on sale for almost 25% off! My lucky day!

So I headed to Macys on Sunday. Yes yes, not the brightest....but I had some last minute shopping to get done.

I roll into the Macys and I'm pointed to the 1 lb. box of raspberry frangos. Bingo!

So I go to check out.....hmm.....full price. I casually mention that they are on sale online, and inquire whether they are also on sale in the store. Here's what transpired:

Me: Hmm, they were on sale on your website.
Macys Lady: Well, they don't ring up on sale here.
Me: Hmm, ok. Well, can I use one of my Macys coupons for 20% off.
Macys Lady: Actually, you'll have to use your macys credit card. And you don't need the coupon.
Me: Ok. Here you go.
Macys Lady: Hmm, I guess they aren't eligible for the 20% off.
Me: Um....ok.
Macys Lady reads the contents of the box and says: Eew, Raspberry Dark Chocolate, that seems way too sweet. (when you picture her saying this, imagine it was in the rudest tone possible)
Me: ***silence***
Macys Lady hands me my receipt and I take it from her hand and walk out.

Who says that? Let's think about this for a moment. Let's think about how this message would be communicated depending on what she was selling.

Skinny Jeans
"Enjoy your purchase, but it's not gonna make you look any skinnier."

Makeup Lady
"That color is UGLY, enjoy!"

Perfume Lady
"You'll smell foul, but thanks for stopping by!"

Tis the season.....but seriously? She could have been a little nicer.




3 comments:

Nikki said...

Ha! I love sales people. She probably doesn't have many friends.

PNB Dave said...

Anyone who works in retail, even if she's temporary holiday help, should know better than that. You should forward this entire blog post to Macy's customer service department.

Unknown said...

You should totally complain on the Macy's website, my roommate has made me a believer in this (and as Asians, I know this goes against our DNA), because they will totally give you a coupon or something. Those big corporations want to keep you as a customer! :)