My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 25, 2010

The highs and lows of being small

There are some definite benefits of being small. I'm not gonna lie. The question is whether the good outweighs the bad.

GOOD
1. You can buy children's shoes and clothes. Cheaper? Yes! But you have to sift through the hello kitty, sparkles and Hannah Montana. And put up with the funny looks from sales people.

2. You fit in small places. Like an airplane seat. I can go "criss-cross-apple-sauce" in an airplane seat. Can you?

3. No one ever says "wow, you're really tall." Thus perpetuating some strange "giant" complex you may or may not be self-conscious about.

4. Pants are never short enough...but at least you can hem them. Bummer for the tall girls.


BAD
1. You get mistaken for 16 year olds. Although....it's more of a compliment these days I suppose.

2. You attract large people. What do I mean by this? Remember how I said that I fit well in airplane seats? Well, on southwest, where you can pick your seat, I often find myself next to very LARGE people. They look at me and think, "she's small, I can spill into her seat a little and she probably won't mind." I mind. Once it was so bad that the flight attendant offered me free drinks.

3. Your feet don't touch the ground while sitting in most chairs. Not too big of a problem....except on planes. Long plane rides make my knees hurt. I need a stool!

4. Picked last for basketball, volleyball....who am I kidding. I'm not athletic.

5. My stomach is smaller. I can't eat as much. But I sure do try!

6. I can't reach 1/4 of the shelves in the kitchen. Nick puts things up high. He calls it job security. In order to get the cereal down, I use kitchen tongs. No joke. They're a very versatile tool.

2 extra inches is all I'm asking for. 5'2" sounds so much better than 5' and a little.

1 comment:

cathy said...

I am just a touch shorter than you. I get it! I like crossing my legs in chairs.

Another plus I've found is that because you can't see past tall people in a crowd, they let you move to the front.