My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Black Forest Cupcakes

So I'm making Black Forest Cupcakes for someone at work.

I went to my trusted Martha Stewart Cupcakes book and found the recipe.

It says "cherries in syrup."

I sent Nick to the store to acquire the necessary ingredients.

He came back with Marachino cherries (he also came back with fresh cherries - to his credit).

I'm pretty Marachino Cherries does not equal cherries in syrup.

HELP! If you've ever made black forest cupcakes, what kind of cherries should I buy?

Thanks,
b

3 comments:

cathy said...

I was curious about this one too. My family uses the cherry pie filling for cakes. They're usually in the baking aisle on a low shelf. Here's what one recipe I read said:

Many black forest cake recipes call for using a store-bought cherry pie filling. If you can get your hands on some fresh cherries, there is no excuse to not make the filling yourself. Making your own filling is easy. It's just three ingredients. The recipe below makes more filling that you will need. You can reduce the recipe or use the leftovers to top ice cream or to mix in with yogurt.

* 1 lb cherries, washed, pitted, and destemmed
* 1/4 C water
* 3/4 C sugar

1. Throw all the ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and let mixture simmer for 15 minutes, stirring periodically.
3. Remove from heat and let cool.

Bryn said...

Thanks, Cath!

cathy said...

Sandra Lee uses maraschino cherries on top and a cherry liqueur inside. Martha's website says to use preserved cherries in light syrup (for the same recipe).

Most places say to use the pie filling.

Good luck! I'm interested in how they turn out.