My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.brynashley.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, March 19, 2010

SEM

I'm running out of blog ideas.....so I will temporarily indulge myself by listing the random things I know, can do or have done. While this list includes such silly things as:

1. Wiggle my ears
2. Stand on the actual tips of my toes
3. Paint nails better than the nail ladies at the salon

I'll try and list slightly more interesting/odd things. This may be a 1-2 day only sort of deal....but I'm hoping it might be entertaining at the least.

So, in grad school I had to learn to use a Scanning Electron Microscope. Or SEM for short. Basically, it's a really strong microscope. I think the order of magnitude is in the micron scale (maybe more....but I wasn't very good) - the image scale bar goes from 10 - 100 um for my pictures.

You have to make sure the sample is electrically conductive, so you can sputter coat them beforehand if they aren't.

I think it was a bug and some pollen. How interesting. And there's your daily dose of science...sorta.

1 comment:

Nick said...

For us b-school kids, SEM = Search Engine Marketing